Wednesday 8 April 2009

Football on Easter Sunday


The church has decided to have a rant about the Aston Villa football match on Easter Sunday. The article I found said the church suggested that holding a football match on Easter sunday shows 'distain' for religious traditions. Personally I don't think that the club is showing Distain for anyone they are just holding a football match. It is not as if anything has been directly done to the church in fact the club has moved the match back by half an hour to allow worshipers make their way to church. Don't get me wrong I consider myself to be a christian but I don't force my beliefs on others and if someone wants to go to a football match on easter sunday I would never criticize them or suggest that by living their life in the way they want they are showing distain for or anything else.

The church's main concern about the match is that the worshipers would not be able to make their way to church. I understand that for old people perhaps it would be hard to get to church amongst all the traffic but they could always set out early or walk the same as they would have too on a normal sunday if they wanted to go to church and a match was taking place. I also think that on sunday alot of the crowd attending the football match are religious themselves many of them christians. 

I have personally always been of the belief that you don't have to go to church to be a christian and those people attending the match are no less christians nor are they showing distain for other christians or traditions that many of them will hold dear, for many it is a well deserved day off to spend time with their families. It is up to them to celebrate easter in a way they see fit.

I don't think that by holding a match on easter sunday the club are doing a bad thing, the only reason I can see for the Church to complain is how early the match was taking place. The match has now been moved so I really don't see their is any problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment