Saturday 4 April 2009

Racism


Throughout the module we have been exploring whether or not things which we consider bad are actually bad our beliefs regarding lying, adultery and other such things have been called into question, and personally my disagreement with absolute moral rules has only grew stronger. However racism is a topic which I believe should be approached in and absolutist way. I cannot think of any possible situation where I would consider racism as acceptable.

I have considered the idea of positive discrimination which some people may be in favour of. Personally I completely disagree with it. I believe that we should all be treated as one race - the human race and by positively discriminating between people when it comes to jobs causes a divide, I think that any divide causes problems. When a person of a particular race sees a person of another race getting a job because they are the minority in that area of work it automatically causes them to view themselves as part of another group. We don’t positively discriminate when it comes to hair colour, size of a persons nose or any other physical attribute so why discriminate in any way when it comes to the colour of a persons skin??? The person should be judged based on their qualifications, experience or suitability to the job and not the way they look. 

I cannot think of any acceptable reason why individuals should be judged by the colour of their skin just as I can’t see a reason for discriminating against someone because they have big ears. I would be interested to hear whether there is anyone out there who can convince me of any positive examples of racism because personally I can’t think of one. All the examples I can think of only lead to hate and segregation when we should really be aiming towards becoming one community.

No comments:

Post a Comment