Tuesday 24 March 2009

Abortion


http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4720813.stm I have decided to address the controversial topic of abortion. I find this a topic which people tend to be in favor of or completely against. I don't know how everyone else feels about abortion but I feel that it is mostly addressed by the general public with quite a negative view. People tend to be under the impression that abortion is used as a means of contraception by young girls who have slept around. The situations that many are faced with when being told they are having a disabled child or are in completely the wrong situation to have a child and have actually made a genuine mistake I believe tend to be overlooked by the media. No one seems to address that for the majority of the women involved abortion is a traumatic and upsetting experience. I should imagine that after having abortion the sense of guilt must be overwhelming. 

I found a article published by the BBC about the rising rates of abortion and the amount of under 14's falling back on abortion. The reality is that the media complain about the rates of teenage pregnancy and then criticize abortion. The statistics presented and the wording of the article I believe is the reason for so much criticism of abortion. I would be interested to know if anyone has any ideas about why abortion is disliked by so many before assessing all the individual situations these women face.

No comments:

Post a Comment