Friday 27 March 2009

Poverty

I found an article showing that half the world in 2005 lived on £2.50 per day. I don't know how that makes everyone else feel but it makes me feel mighty lucky. The question I want to ask is should I feel lucky or should I feel bad about the fact I have a nice home and spend money every week on things I don't need while there are so many people having to struggle just to buy food and or get access to water while I take things like that for granted.  The web page also gives other shocking statistics like 40% of the world live on 5% of global income. 

The western world is well aware of the poverty around the globe so why is so little done to help?? I don't think people want to give to charities anymore because no one is quite sure the money is getting to where its meant to be, this is because everyone is well aware of the greed in the world. I also think the responsibility is shared between everyone who doesn't live in the disgraceful conditions, everyone thinks well its not all my fault or there isn't anything I can do. To be honest I don't think that there is a lot I can do but give to charity every now and again and hope it gets there . The thing is I don't think that I'm a bad person because of the lifestyle I lead, its all I have ever known people around me all my life have lived a similar sort of lifestyle, all my friends live the same student lifestyle, but I do wonder if the roles were reversed and I lived in poverty then saw myself would I still be of the opinion that Im not a bad person??

1 comment:

  1. I found Nicola’s sentiments on poverty as exceptional because for one thing nobody else has written on the subject, although it is one of the worst problems this planet has. I remember what G.B.Shaw once wrote about poverty, “It is a disease, which not only infects the body but also the soul.” What he meant by this was that when one is worrying about hunger and other basic necessities of life all the time, how can that person think about religion, morality or virtue?

    We can all do something about poverty for example I have set up a direct debit and small amount is paid to ‘Save the Children’ fund and another small amount is paid to ‘The Red Cross’ and I intend to do more. When I die I want to feel I have done something to ease the suffering of the world.
    A very good piece Nicola, I admire your sentiments, keep it up!

    Sudareth Kumar

    ReplyDelete